Student Laptop Initiative FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Computer or Laptop

  • Can the university fix my laptop or computer if it is broken?

For hardware issues, we recommend that you contact the manufacturer of your laptop if it is under warranty. A computer less than a year old should still be covered by the manufacturer's warranty. Most manufacturers offer an extended warranty if purchased along with the computer. If you are a student and your computer is not covered, you may contact technicians at 808-675-4539 for help. Any work provided by their service is not guaranteed. Their office is located in GCB 119. You are responsible for the data on your device. If you are NOT a current BYU-Hawaii student, please see a local support service.

  • Does the university sell laptops to students?

Periodically the Bookstore sells laptops to students at a reasonable price. When available, the Bookstore will run an announcement in the university eBulletin. They are sold on a first-come-first-served basis. These are used laptops that have been surplused and replaced. You may contact the Bookstore at 808-675-3563 to inquire about availability.

  • Why are students required to have laptops if they are not used in every class?

A laptop will give you the ability to work on your assignments anytime and anywhere at your convenience. The computer labs on campus are not open 24 hours. Most professors at BYUH will require students to access learning materials online. You can be more productive in doing your school work by having a personal laptop.

  • Are power outlets available in all classrooms?

No, most classrooms do not have power plugs within reach of student desks. However, new laptop batteries usually last 3-5 hours. It might be a good idea to purchase a spare battery if your current one does not keep a charge.

  • Are there laptops available for checkout?

    There are a limited number of laptops available for students to checkout from Media Services in the JFS Library. There is a 4 hour time limit.

Software and Applications

  • Do I need the Office suite?

You don't have to purchase Office suite. An online version is available to all students through your email account. You may also install an open source version of office from here. Remember to save your documents in MS (.docx, .xlsx) format so your professor and others can easily open them.

  • Does the university provide a free anti-virus application?

Yes. Create an account at which will allow you to protect all your devices. If you have questions, please contact the Help Desk at 808-675-3921.

  • What about international versions of Windows?

Typically, it shouldn't be a problem. However, if you have software problems, an international version of the OS makes it very difficult for other language speakers to support. Also, there may be some programs that are not compatible with an international version of Windows.

Technical Support

  • What kind of technical support does the university offer? Where can I get it?

If you need a quick assistance for technical support you can call BYUH Help Desk at 808-675-3921. Their office is located at GCB 120. You can visit this link to find out how you can protect your computer.

  • Is there a place where I can borrow a headset with microphone or a webcam?

You can borrow a headset and a microphone from Media Services located in the JFS Library. You need your student ID to check out those items and you can only use them within the library area. We do not provide webcams for checkout. Some laptops have them built-in.


  • How can I print from my laptop?

To print from your laptop to one of our lab printers, install the drivers here. You will be required to enter your CES Net ID and password in order to print.

  • Can I print from an iPad or Android tablet?

We don't have this option at this time, but we will continue to look for solutions. In the meantime, you may email your documents to yourself and use a lab computer to print them out.

Internet Connection

  • How can I connect to the Wi-Fi using my laptop?

Your laptop should have the capability to connect to Wireless 802.11 a/b/g/n network. You can connect to the BYUH Secure connection using your CES Net ID and password. In the Security Settings, select to use WPA2 Enterprise

  • How can I connect to the Wi-Fi using my mobile device such as smart phone?

Your phone should have the capability to connect to 802.1x wireless authentication. Most of the recent smart phones or tablets support this feature. Use your CES Net ID and password to connect to the BYUH Secure connection.

  • Do I have to bring my own Ethernet cable?

If you can't get Wi-Fi access to your laptop or a desktop, you might need an Ethernet (Cat-5) cable. You can bring your own Ethernet (Cat-5) cable or you can also purchase one at the BYUH bookstore. Some, but not all Residence Halls or TVA apartments have ethernet ports in room.